Sunday, September 7, 2008

My First Socks


I have gotten to the point in the pinwheel sweater where I have to do sleeves. But I know I'm going to leave (stupid) dpn ladders all the way down them!



Tara says you can use 2 circulars, which I tested, but it's tricky. I will practice again sometime, this time with actual instructions! lol. She challenged me to make socks on 2 circulars, saying she would, too.

Anyway, I was suddenly hit with a desire to practice dpn-ing with an 8ply pattern I'd found. To my surprise, I have had a great time going round with my (stupid) dpn's, and have done about 10cm so far.

I am making socks! I'm even going to try the scary-sounding heel!

Byron looked up at me today, and (being neglected) sighed, "knit, knit, knit..." It is not the first time. Poor boy. I put "The Wiggles" on for him, balanced Jasmine on my lap, and we were all happy.

3 comments:

Tara said...

A good way to avoid ladders is to knit the first stitch as you normally would, but tighten up after knitting the second stitch of the needle. That tip was in Cat Bordhi's New Pathways, and it really worked for me.

Knit Purl Gurl said...

I think your sock looks good and comfy too! I haven't tried DPNs yet - but LOVE ML. There are virtually NO ladders or seams. It looks nearly seamless. And for a beginner with little skill like myself, it's a good thing! Keep pluggin' away it. You'll be glad you did!

Karin said...

If I can knit 2 socks with 2 circular needles, you can too. It's a little tricky at the beginning. Just keep both socks close to each other and after knitting one side of the socks, pull your needle free or else you have a bunch of needles in loops. I am liking it though and it will be wonderful having both pairs done when I am finished.

Karin

Locations of visitors to this page