Saturday, June 30, 2012

End of the month report :)




Thanks for this, Kelly. LOL.
 

Finished this one today. Had to take it off her, though, because it's her birthday jumper for next month.

She requested the colors, the stars and flowers, and I made it up as I went for Flying class: "Fly by the seat of your pants (ie. improvise)". Fun.

Cracked this month, and dyed some yarn for two classes and quidditch... It feels like cheating, but this actually did take a while. Making a skein that is 9m around requires winding the ball, walking 400m between chairs, dip-dyeing in three parts, walking 400m again to reskein and then winding up the tangled thing into a usable ball. Also dyed three matching miniskeins at the same time.

Then I used the yarn (a fingering weight merino/silk) to make a scarf. Love those twisted ends.

I used the miniskeins for the warp, and the self-striping for the weft, and worked it out so that the solid colors would be roughly squares, and in between they would mix.  Like the effect, though I don't much like the pastels. But Mum's friend requested pastels, apparently, so that's what she gets. Well, a bright version of pastels, anyway :)

The dyed yarn from the last post turned into this cowl, which was mostly knit during night shift.

And now I've started spinning! The Tour de France (and thus, the Tour de Fleece) don't start for about 8 hours, but I began spinning some red fibre so I could put as much as possible into a class (the month ends in about 40 hours). This yellow, though, was dyed up especially by Kathy in honor of the yellow winner's top. Byron patted it all the way home from the post office :)

Well, must get to bed. It's 2am, and I have night shift the next two nights. Tomorrow is a spinning day. And probably the next 23 after that, too!

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Lovely jumper, gorgeous weaving! Love the colours.

ruthsplace said...

Wow, you improvised that jumper! Gorgeous!

kelgell said...

He he. Couldn't resist that mug. I'd forgotten I'd sent it though. Nice work with the jumper. Did you design the stars and flowers as well? And I like the woven scarf though I'm like you and not fond of pastels. I'm impressed with the tartan pattern though.

Alrischa said...

I got the star and flower chart out of my Alice Starmore FairIsle book. In hindsight, I should have centered the star or something. I like the scarf, too. Next one is going to be shades of grey squares, for Telly, because she wants one for her birthday, and she also wants a brain hat :) They might as well match!

Locations of visitors to this page