Thursday, October 18, 2012


NEWT socks number 3 are Two Yarn Resoleable socks. The construction is a bit weird but fun.

You're supposed to start at the cuff, but I did a provisional cast on, because I had limited yarn yards. I used some yarn I made with one of my first fibre-mixing experiments (the white stuff = BFL/mohair/merino/angora) and the colorful stuff is merino. As you see, you knit the leg, put the back on hold while you do the instep, then you pick up stitches around the instep. You return to the back of the leg and knit the square heel flap, turn the heel, pick up stitches along each side of it, and start knitting back and forward, joining the side stitches to the instep stitches one by one.

The idea is that, when you wear out the sole, you can just reknit it. This stuff is so thick, though. I'm not sure it will ever wear out :)

I think the next pair I start will have another different sole. Someone on one of the Ravelry spinning groups explained to me how Padded Footlets work, and I'm intrigued enough to test it out.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012


Socks the Second of my handspun socks experiment/ NEWT project (make 6 pairs of socks from different handspun mixes): Scylla

Kathy's Fibres, 70% BFL and 30% mohair

Spun back in July, I think, into fingering weight 3ply

Knitted up into Scylla socks

Held a strand of mohair (Kid Seta) together with the sole stitches for extra thickness and better wear (apparently)

The inside: you just chop the ends of the kid seta short and leave them; they're sticky enough to stay put just like that :)

And now I have 7 weeks to finish 7 more socks!! Hope I can manage to finish by the deadline! :)
Locations of visitors to this page