Having said that, I sure didn't think I'd be able to make 6 pairs of socks in 4 months with a bit of spare time left over. Hehehe. Can you see the teeny flecks of color here? That kept me amused...
The socks are actually normal sock length, as I found when I put them on the sock blocker. I put them on inside out (so as to stretch the colorwork "floats" across the back a little more). How do you like that MacGuyver-ing there? I couldn't work out how to block the colorwork and the lace at the same time, but threading some yarn through the picots and stringing it up between two chairs, with some tension, worked pretty well :)
The white is not really white. Here's a picture I took today of the original unwashed fleece, the washed and spun (undyed) yarn (except for the flecks) and a piece of plain white paper.
And now for a summary of my first NEWT :) because I'm a bit pleased with myself for this ridiculous amount of effort to make something that would cost me $10 at the supermarket... hehehe.
|Raw fleece, washed and dyed, carded|
|ValJean: mixed in some tencel, spun it and knitted Hermione's Everyday Socks|
|Marius: mixed in some mohair, spun it and knitted Boot Socks|
|Cosette: mixed in mohair and tencel, spun it and knitted Lace Cuff Anklets|
|Used old handspun yarn to make Helix, Scylla and Two Yarn Resoleable Socks|