Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Two old favorites

One of the school mums (her daughter is in prep with my son) recently shaved her head. She's having chemo, and when chunks of hair started to fall out she whipped out the shaver... and a hat.

That's when she found out that store-bought hats are not all that warm on a cold day :)

She told me one day, partly joking, partly asking, that I was welcome to make her a wool hat like the one I was wearing, if I liked. Hehe. So...

This is the third Paper Moon I've made. The first was for a 20's party a while ago; I searched for "cloche" and found this. The second was because I loved the first one; it fit really well, and I wore it all the time. This one, however, is in Malabrigo Rios (colorway is Paris Night) and I'm afraid I'm going to have to make another one in Rios for myself. It's so soft.

The other hat I own that I wear all the time is Wurm. It's a pretty common, simple pattern, but the texture of it really makes it thick and warm. I made this one with the leftover skein from Byron's Zigvest.



I also joined a challenge on Ravelry, where we have to set "cardioknitting" goals and meet them for 12 weeks. This was my walking project, simple pattern, worsted weight yarn, and it's seen a few kilometers :)





Now, I'll have to find something else. I've started "Phi". It's a simple pattern, but the yarn is much finer, so we'll see how we go.

And now I have to go to a school art show, which I have been trying to ignore for the last few months of "reminders" (I must have gotten five copies of the order forms for the dinner menu). I wasn't going to go to Yet Another Fundraiser... but apparently they've been talking about it at school a lot and telling the kids to invite their parents, and now Byron is all excited. He doesn't just want to go, either; because he's heard that I can buy things. Sigh.




2 comments:

ruthsplace said...

Your Phi is going to be stunning in the colours you've chosen. Gorgeous hat for your friend. I hope it keeps her warm and her treatment goes well.

Tara said...

Great hats! I'm sure her treatments will benefit from such great knitting mojo :)

Locations of visitors to this page